There ain't no news in being good.
- Finley Peter Dunne

In embryo...

This blog started out as an assignment from my Comms:239 professor, Dr. Cressman (what up Cress?!). We were supposed to use it to talk about journalism in the news...changes, scandals, technologies, etc. Now, I'm not sure what it is. I guess it is whatever I want it to be at any given time of the day. It's still developing, still finding it's niche, still in embryo....

News from CNN.com

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What/Who Is a Journalist?

To me, a journalist is someone who feels compelled to say something, and does, through whatever medium they can best use to express themselves. Whether that is spoken words, printed words, sounds or images.

This is what makes the likes of you and me journalists, as well as the Christiane Amanpours and Fred Barnes' of the world. We see something, we read something, hear something, and it causes us to react, to speak up, speak out. This is what makes someone a journalist. Not only do they experience the world around them, like everyone else, they record it, they act.

No comments: